The Exercise Science Fellows Program provides students a four-year, experiential, team-based scholastic experience with like-minded students. Working with a dedicated director of the program, students are provided personal mentoring, networking travel, and opportunities to learn about careers in the ever-changing world of exercise science. Students in the Exercise Science Fellows program will participate in value-added learning experiences that embrace the university’s growth mindset philosophy and connect students to faculty, peers, and professionals. To this end, the Exercise Science Fellows program seeks to expose, nurture, and develop knowledge and analytical thinking related to the exercise science discipline. The programming is three-fold, focusing on community building (personal and professional), experiential learning, and leadership development – culminating in a well-rounded graduate who can differentiate him/herself in the public sphere.
Students in the Exercise Science Fellows Program will:
- Complete classes as a cohort
- Receive priority access to Congdon School of Health Sciences Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program
- Participate in tours of highly regarded research, clinical, and professional exercise science facilities
- Engage with faculty mentors
- Complete group service projects
- Participate in closed Fellows Symposiums with Faculty, visiting scientists, and other community leaders
- Take a leadership role in the annual Exercise Science/Employee Wellness Annual 5k Run/ Walk
- Travel and attend Scientific Symposia, Sports Medicine Conferences, and other important events in the field
- Serve as an upper-class mentor for first year fellowship students
- Develop an electronic portfolio of completed projects
- And much more…
Who should apply?
Successful applicants to the Exercise Science Fellows program will have a declared major in Exercise Science and have a record of accomplishment in studying the human body and its concomitant movement system. Previous sports science-related experience will be an advantage for applicants. The program is highly selective and is limited to the top forty incoming natural sciences students in each entering class.
How to Apply
To be considered for membership into the Exercise Science Fellows Program, you must first submit your High Point University undergraduate admissions application.
Then, please complete your Exercise Science Fellows application through your PantherPage by February 1 for priority applicants, and by March 1 for all others. The application is only available to students who meet minimum criteria.
Exercise Science Fellows receive a $3,000 scholarship renewable annually based on academic performance and continued participation in the program. This is in addition to any Presidential or High Point Scholarship. Fellows must meet GPA and professionalism requirements to be awarded continuation of their fellowship into the next academic year.
Dr. Braden Romer
Assistant Professor of Exercise Science
Director of Exercise Science Fellows