About the SWIM Program
The Sompo Women in Insurance Management (SWIM) program is a collaboration between High Point University and Sompo International. SWIM is a career pathway for women, beginning with scholarship, advancing to internship opportunities, and leadership in the insurance industry. With a focus on inclusive and diverse leadership, SWIM participants are talented, innovative team players with a growth mindset.
Why Choose Insurance As A Career Path?
The Insurance industry is a diverse and dynamic place to build and grow your career. There’s opportunity for a variety of skills and interests – from underwriting to data analytics to operations and claims handling to legal, communications and marketing. Working at an insurance organization provides an opportunity to gain insight into many other industries. You will learn about current events, global trends and how insurance essentially touches every facet of our world – from the environment to agriculture to the hospitality industry to boards of directors.
- Financial support in the form of an annual scholarship
- A paid internship at a Sompo International office in the U.S. after the third year
- A dedicated Sompo International business advocate/coach
- Access to Sompo International leadership in a classroom setting
- Entrance to post-graduation Sompo International Undergraduate Training program
- Female students who have a strong desire to succeed as leaders in the insurance industry
- Women who have been accepted into the Strickland L.I.F.T. Fellowship Program
- Female students with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Women who have a proven interest in developing inclusive and diverse leadership qualities
- Innovative team players with a growth mindset
Both Sompo and High Point University are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture, and they recognize that inclusive leadership is required for organizations to innovate, grow and outperform. The SWIM Program is for women who share our commitment to creativity, execution and operational excellence as well as HPU and Sompo’s values of ethics, integrity, accountability, collaboration and agility.
All participants in the SWIM program will also receive the benefits of The Strickland Women’s L.I.F.T. Fellowship Program.
The Strickland Women’s L.I.F.T. Fellowship Program provides networking, leadership development, mentorship and coaching for female students interested in becoming CEOs, leaders, entrepreneurs, executives, and trailblazers in their chosen careers. L.I.F.T. students will work alongside accomplished faculty and executives to strengthen their self-efficacy, confidence, and leadership capacity to thrive in any profession. SWIM students will also participate in the L.I.F.T. Fellowship program.
SOMPO WOMEN IN INSURANCE MANAGEMENT – A Scholarship, Internship and Career Program For Innovative Women interested in the Insurance Industry
For more information about the SWIM program contact:
Dr. Rhonda Butler
Sompo International is a global property, casualty, and specialty provider of insurance for companies of all sizes. Part of the Sompo Holding family, Sompo International is one of the largest domestic carriers in Japan and traded on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. To learn more about Sompo International, visit our website.