Hello prospective parents and future members of the High Point University family! Your child is about to embark on a new, exciting and extraordinary chapter in life, and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions would like to congratulate them on their achievements thus far.
Some of you are just starting the college-search process with your child. while others of you have children on the brink of making a final decision; regardless of where you are in the process, please know that we are here to help!
“If you have to relinquish the reins of parenthood, then there is no better community in the world in which to do it. If you want to see the changing face of higher education from the front line, visit HPU and spend thirty seconds with anyone there. It is immediately obvious, undeniable, and for me, comforting beyond words. My daughter could not have made a better choice, and trust me, she weighed them all – even the heavy lifters. High Point University wins and there are no second thoughts about that from any of us.” –The Middlebrooks Family
High Point University is different with relevance. It’s student-centered. It’s values-based. It’s pristine. It’s safe. It’s a holistic learning environment. At High Point University, we truly believe in our mission statement- every student receives an extraordinary education in an inspiring environment with caring people. ®
High Point University has been named one of the Princeton Review’s Best 382 Colleges, including a place in the Top 20 Best Run Schools, Top 10 Best Dorms, and Top 20 Best Career Services in the nation.
With state-of-the-art academic facilities, scholarly opportunities and a robust calendar of engaging events, our environment of excellences will transform your high school student into a collegiate scholar who is prepared to thrive in today’s ever-changing and competitive global marketplace.
- At HPU your student will constantly be given the opportunity to combine classroom content with real-world context. This year HPU students secured internships with global business leaders such as Entertainment Tonight, the New Orleans Saints, ESPN, Seventeen Magazine, Gannett Co. and many more.
- At HPU your student will be challenged to discover their passion. Our stellar faculty will serve as dedicated mentors who will help your child find a platform through which he or she can express and expand on what they love.
- At HPU your student will have access to not only today’s state-of-the-art technology but also to tomorrow’s cutting edge tools.
- At HPU your student will receive an education that inspires greatness, instills purpose, cultivates life-long learning, promotes service and stimulates his or her desire to live a life of both success and significance.
High Point University seeks applicants who demonstrate exceptional scholarship, outstanding achievement, good citizenship and strong leadership.
Please know that we desire to get to know those whom we are investing our future into. While it is not mandatory, we do strongly recommend a campus visit during your student’s senior year. Campus visits are a great way for your student and your family to experience our remarkable campus, meet our extraordinary students and dynamic professors, sit in on a class and speak with your child’s admissions counselor.
Admissions decisions are based on the following:
- A student’s academic performance and achievement
- The academic rigor of these classes and your school
- Scores achieved on either the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT) or American College Test (ACT)*
- A student’s character and past performance
- A student’s demonstrated leadership
- The written essay on our application
- The School Report Form
- Letter of Recommendation from teachers or counselors
- Demonstrated interest in attending High Point University
*SAT or ACT scores are only required if a student wishes to be considered for the Presidential Scholars Program and/or Honors Scholar Program
At High Point University we offer three application plans for incoming freshmen. It is important to choose the plan that suits your interest level. Please keep in mind that over 80 percent of our incoming class is compromised of Early Decision and Early Action candidates.
For those applicants who consider High Point University their number one college choice and desire to remove the stress of the college selection process, we offer our Early Decision plan. It is a binding agreement in which, if admitted, you agree to withdraw all other college applications and enroll at High Point University for the fall of 2019. Students who apply under the Early Decision plan will receive these benefits:
- First Priority in selecting your ideal campus housing
- First Priority in selecting your fall class schedule
- Early Notification of admissions decision
- Early Campus Move-In date in August
- Early Assignment of your HPU Success Coach to begin working with you in planning for your success at HPU
Early Action is for those applicants who consider High Point University one of their top few college choices. It is a non-binding application plan. Early Action students have second priority in housing selection.
Regular Decision is for those students not applying under one of our early application plans. Applications received under the Regular Decision plan will be reviewed after February 2. Applications received after the Regular Decision deadline will be reviewed on a space available basis.
High Point University has a proud history of being committed to a quality liberal arts education that creates career-centered outcomes. The university continues to innovate, introducing new teaching techniques and programs in order to produce graduates who are ready to take on any challenge in their chosen careers.
Student Success Coaches: Your student will be assigned a Success Coach who will serve as his or her academic advisor during their first year. In addition to advising, the coach connects students to appropriate resources — including tutoring, counseling, Student Life and Career Services.
The Center for Student Success:
Cottrell Hall opened this fall after being completely funded by gifts from parents of HPU students. Inside, the university has expanded experiential learning opportunities while also bringing them together under one roof. From Career and Professional Development, to Internship Resources, to an Entrepreneurship Center, students develop the ability to connect the dots between the experiences amassed during their time at HPU.
Collaboration is fostered in the glass walls featured throughout. An international theme is embedded in the design with a globe in the form of a chandelier, an airport concourse that serves as study space, and all the offices and support staff that are placed intentionally here to guide students to compete on a global platform.
High Point University’s Career and Professional Development Office will offer your student assistance in all aspects of the career planning, internship and employment process. The office helps students explore their interests, identify strengths and develop an action plan that will prepare them for life after graduation.
Services offered include:
- Individual career counseling, including self-assessments and feedback
- Exploration of HPU majors/minors and related career fields
- Resume and cover letter development and review
- Advice on how to create an effective LinkedIn profile
- Interviewing strategies and practice sessions
- Resources for finding internships and full-time opportunities
- Networking assistance
- Graduate school process