Skip to Main Content

How to Obtain the F-1 Visa:

Students who are citizens of a foreign country must obtain the F-1 Visa. There are several required steps before a student can obtain the F-1 Visa.

  1. Apply and receive acceptance letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
  2. Receive the Form I-20 from the High Point University Admissions Office. You must submit the following for this document to be issued:
    • Certificate of Financial Support
    • Photocopy of Passport
    • $500 Deposit (this can be paid online once you login to your MyHPU page)
    • Foreign Mailing Address and Foreign Phone Number (the Form I-20 will be sent via FedEx once the Admissions Office has received all of the necessary documents)
    • For current F-1 visa holders, it is recommend to request a SEVIS record transfer from the DSO at your current institution.  Once HPU receives the SEVIS record transfer request, the I-20 will be updated and sent back to you.  The SEVIS Code for High Point University is ATL 214 F101 3000.
  3. Pay the SEVIS Fee (also called the SEVIS I-901 Fee)
  4. Complete the Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application
  5. Apply for F-1 Visa at U.S. Embassy or Consulate and prepare for interview
    • After paying the I-901 fee and getting a receipt, you can apply for a visa at any American Embassy or Consulate before you leave for the U.S. Check how long this process will take for certain U.S. Embassies and Consulates.
    • Required Documents for Visa Interview:
      • Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months)
      • Non-Immigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) confirmation page
      • Application Fee payment receipt
      • Photo
      • Form I-20
      • There may be additional documentation required set by your Embassy or Consulate where you apply. To see the full list of requirements check out your Embassy or Consulate website above.