How to Obtain the F-1 Visa:
Students who are citizens of a foreign country must obtain the F-1 Visa. There are several required steps before a student can obtain the F-1 Visa.
- Apply and receive acceptance letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- Receive the Form I-20 from the High Point University Admissions Office. You must submit the following for this document to be issued:
- Certificate of Financial Support
- Photocopy of Passport
- $500 Deposit (this can be paid online once you login to your MyHPU page)
- Foreign Mailing Address and Foreign Phone Number (the Form I-20 will be sent via FedEx once the Admissions Office has received all of the necessary documents)
- If an international student is already studying in the United States and has the F-1 visa, they must also complete the F-1 Visa Transfer Document and the I-20 will be updated and mailed back to the student.
- Pay the SEVIS Fee (also called the SEVIS I-901 Fee)
- Complete the Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application
- Apply for F-1 Visa at U.S. Embassy or Consulate and prepare for interview
- After paying the I-901 fee and getting a receipt, you can apply for a visa at any American Embassy or Consulate before you leave for the U.S. Check how long this process will take for certain U.S. Embassies and Consulates.
- Required Documents for Visa Interview:
- Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months)
- Non-Immigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) confirmation page
- Application Fee payment receipt
- Form I-20
- There may be additional documentation required set by your Embassy or Consulate where you apply. To see the full list of requirements check out your Embassy or Consulate website above.