The Strickland Women’s L.I.F.T Fellowship Program provides networking, leadership development, mentorship and coaching for female students interested in becoming CEOs, leaders, entrepreneurs, executives,
and trailblazers in their chosen careers. The program is not limited to any one field of study. Rather, L.I.F.T. students will work alongside accomplished faculty and executives to strengthen their self-efficacy, confidence, and leadership capacity. It is anticipated that the Strickland Women’s L.I.F.T. Fellowship Program will generate a sustainable pipeline of women who desire to blaze a trail for themselves and all women as they progress in college and into the next stages of their lives.
The Strickland Women’s L.I.F.T. Fellowship is named for High Point University alumna and philanthropist Elizabeth Miller Strickland. Betty, and her late husband Bob, believe in investing in women in education and business, and the values that HPU upholds.
For More Information Contact
Dr. Rhonda Butler | Director, Strickland Women’s L.I.F.T. Fellowship Program & Assistant Professor of Management
Office: Cottrell 227
Students in the L.I.F.T. Fellowship have unique opportunities to:
- Take classes as a cohort with other women leaders at HPU
- Actively participate in choosing annual world class caliber speaker
- Engage with faculty mentors
- Access to personalized coaching to prepare for job and graduate school internships
- Have priority access to important business networking events
- Have exclusive access to the Strickland Women’s Leadership Council members
- Build personal confidence and professional identity
- Develop annual service projects across the southeast
- Benefit from peer mentorship; as a mentor and a mentee
- Participate in a 1–2-year long project developing knowledge, creativity, and experience to set apart from peers when interviewing for internships and jobs
PRIORITY DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 1 FINAL DEADLINE: MARCH 1
A Scholarship, Internship and Career Program For Innovative Women interested in the Insurance Industry
The Sompo Women in Insurance Management (SWIM) program is a collaboration between High Point University and Sompo International. SWIM is a career pathway for women, beginning with scholarship, advancing to internship opportunities, and leadership in the insurance industry. With a focus on inclusive and diverse leadership, SWIM participants are talented, innovative team players with a growth mindset.
The L.I.F.T. Fellowship is made possible through the vision and generosity of Elizabeth Miller Strickland. A trailblazer herself, Strickland attended HPU where she was crowned Miss High Point College in 1952. Betty and her late husband Bob, former chairman of the board of Lowe’s Home Improvement, believe in education, mentorship, experiential learning, and the God, family and country values that HPU embodies. In 2020,
Betty was recognized as HPU Alumna of the Year for her service to High Point University and her visionary leadership to her community.
“I have always believed that you don’t only go to college to simply learn how to make a living, but you go to college to learn how to live. HPU’s mentorship model and practice of equipping students with life skills allow that to happen.”
– Betty Strickland